Tor Support Services offers confidential counselling advice and support for people aged 5 to 25 in Okehampton and the surrounding area. You can find more information at http://www.torsupportservices.org.uk. Continue reading Partnership Services
“….and they’re off!!!!” Sporting Memories has started in Okehampton. Thursdays 10.30am at the Pavilion. Aimed as a social group for those interested in sport, experiencing isolation, mild dementia and/or long term health conditions.
For full details of the offer, go to our tennis page tennis page.
Simmons Park visitors were certainly in for a big surprise this Easter as the Pavilion Café hosted its first Teddy Bears’ Picnic.
Staged as park of Okehampton sports charity OCRA’s holiday activities, the picnic offered a full family afternoon starting with a teddy trail in the park, multi-sports on the cricket pitch and the picnic itself outdoors in the Spring sunshine, with some special guests. Continue reading Why the big PAWs? Teddy Bear’s Picnic, of course
OCRA currently fulfils the role of School Sports Co-ordinator for Dartmoor MAT (Okehampton and area schools) and Tavistock Area Schools. Please see our event reports on our schools page for news throughout the year.
Wednesday 23rd January was the West Devon Sportshall finals, held at Tavistock College Sportshall. Taking part were – Whitchurch, St Andrew’s A & B, St Peter’s, Okehampton, Hatherleigh, South and North Tawton. Keith & Jayne Reed, Martin Exley-Deane, Stuart Lord and Mhairi McCall plus 10 young sports leaders officiated over the event. Continue reading OCRA School Sports Report – Q1, 2019
A further item of excellent financial news in recent weeks as Okehampton United Charities reaffirmed its’ support for Okehampton Gym, Trampoline and DMT Club with a superb grant of £15,000 toward new equipment.
Pictured with OUC Clerk Karen Pervical, club head coach Vicki Pritchard gratefully received the cheque which is already earmarked for two competition-spec trampolines. Continue reading OUC support for Trampolinists
St Andrew’s year 3/4 & 5/6 boys, Whitchurch 3/4 girls & Tavistock 5/6 girls had won through to the County finals by winning the West Devon event on the 7th March.
There were 18 teams and approx. 90 runners from all over Devon in each race. A maximum of 6 runners raced for a team with the first 4 finishers counting for results. Continue reading West Devon Teams bring back medals from County Games
Teams from Exbourne, Lamerton, Gulworthy, Mary Tavy & Brentor A & B), Highampton (A & B), Lewtrenchard and Milton Abbot took part in what was a very entertaining and competitive football tournament. Continue reading West Devon Small Schools Football Festival
Pictured presenting a cheque for £24,400, OUC’s clerk Karen Percival is with OCRA Admin Manager Jill Jolley, Chair Lyn Evans and Interim Manager Robin Catling. Continue reading OUC renews OCRA core funding
A Period of Change
Over the past few months we have had significant change in systems and personnel:
- appointed a new financial administrator – Christina Titchen
- appointed a new accountant – Thomas Westcott
- adopted a new financial accounting system
- began recruiting for a new Sport and Recreation Manager
Through this period OCRA has continued to deliver a diverse programme of sport and recreation for all ages and abilities.
Download a PDF copy of this report (PDF file, 3.7MB)
2000+ children involved in OCRA School Events programme, new Federation Schools football and netball leagues in Winter term.
New Pavilion sessions with musical theatre, music project; Mum and Baby Yoga (to start shortly )
Regular Walking Football, Walking Netball to add to the 24 different sports & activities on site.
Outreach to beavers, scouts and venture scout troops.
SNAP Special Needs received funding £4000 from DCC & NCT and local youth group support.
- Good event programme developing for 2019: returning endurance running, cycling events
- Super Sports Sunday Family Fun Day will be back with the Sports and Fitness Festival in July; May Fair, Belstone Fair, Okehampton Show, plus more events planned.
- Hockey Centenary Celebrations, Pony Club Tetrathalons & Multi sport events, with the Pavilion at the heart.
OCRA has hosted:
- Fun-fit and High-5 courses for school staff
- First Aid course for coaches and clubs
- Fundamentals of Movement course
New Programmes and Initiatives
- Developing Active Okehampton brand with Okehampton Health and Wellbeing Alliance; Exercise on Referral programme for local area
- Year 2 of our Sport Community Development contract with Fusion looks to bring new activities to both Parklands and Meadowlands.
Holiday activity schemes
All day options with Breakfast and afternoon clubs added to Sport and Art days (booking now for Easter!), more diverse activities, including our mini-camps for 3-5yr olds and family parent-and-child camps.
OCRA in Schools
OCRA holds the School Sports Co-ordinator (SSCO) role for Dartmoor MAT and Tavistock area schools and our school sports calendars are looked on with envy by our neighbours for the number and diversity of events:
- Multi-skills festivals twice a year
- Dance festival, swimming gala
- Tag Rugby festival
- Castle Drogo cross-country
- West Devon girls’ win at the recent Devon county cross-country
- Tri-golf competition this month
- Girls’ rugby taster sessions with Devon RFU upcoming;
- Increasing non-core sports: fencing and archery for Primary schools curriculum time (adding to after school clubs)
Okehampton Gym, Trampoline and DMT Club
- 4 National gold medals
- 1 National bronze medal
- regional and county medals
- a double British NDP trampoline and DMT champion
- South West Youth Games team gold.
Now a recognised competitive club with an impressive medal tally for this season:
- 28 podium places plus number of 4ths and top 10’s.
- County medals – 3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
- Regional medals -10 gold, 7 silver, 5 bronze
- Southern zonal medals – 1 bronze
- National placings – 7th at National schools
- South West Squad places – 3 selected for SW squad, 4 reserves across disciplines, Vicki Pritchard appointed South West Coach.