Okehampton Community Recreation Association – OCRA
OCRA IS A CHARITY THAT AIMS TO MAINTAIN & DEVELOP SPORTING / RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES & FACILITIES FOR OKEHAMPTON & THE LARGE SURROUNDING AREA.
OCRA has developed a hub model that does this through;
- Delivering a diverse programme of activity- over 1,400 sessions in 2013
- Taking sport and activity sessions to satellite towns and villages
- Holiday Schemes that incorporate sport, art, outdoor pursuits, play, dance, horse riding and environmental adventure
- Delivering and supporting Special Needs and Disability activity
- Deliver the School Sports role for Okehampton College and 11 Primary Schools -developing activity for all
- Supporting and promoting local clubs
- Delivering Sport, Activity, Health and Community Development projects e.g 5X30 , Active Villages
- Developing facilities – recent projects have included Skateparks, new All Weather Pitch, Parklands Leisure Centre, Play areas and the Pavilion in the Park
- Bringing funding to the area for activity schemes and facilities
- Signposting people to activity
- Running and supporting local events e.g Okehampton Sports & Fitness Festival
- Networking with agencies to insure the area and activity is represented and supported.
- Offering training or putting people in touch with providers
- An equipment Loan Scheme
OCRA was formed in 1990 and has developed through great local support. If you are interested in helping or have any ideas in areas that OCRA could develop, please contact us.